Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mini Chocolate-Mint Cupcakes

I love baking, but it requires a lot of time and patience so I don't do it very often. I have had the non-perishable ingredients to make these delicious cupcakes for about a month and I was excited to finally start baking! I got to use some of my new baking accessories and my favorite bake-from-scratch-recipe-book, Cupcakes, all of which I received as gifts at my bridal showers and let me tell ya, it was a blast! I also got to use the new Stamper I received as a gift at my last shower from the hostesses with the mostesses, Kendall, Jessica, Jan, & Sherry.
.
Ingredients for Cupcakes
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
.
Directions
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 24-cup miniature muffin pan with miniature paper or foil liners. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan; stir frequently until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the saucepan; let the mixture cool to room temperature.
.
Using a wooden spoon, stir the sugar into the melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, whisking until combined after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla and peppermint extracts and then the salt. Gently fold in the flour; do not overmix.
.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Bake until the tops are crackly and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, about 45 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan.
.
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces, at room temperature
.
Ingredients for Chocolate-Mint Flavoring
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
.
Directions for Buttercream Frosting
In a large, heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites and sugar. Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch (about 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), about 2 mintues. Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg white mixture until it is fluffy, cooled to room temperature, and holds stiff peaks (the mixture should not look dry), about 6 minutes.
.
With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the salt and butter, a few pieces at a time, beating well after each addition. If the frosting appears to separate or is very liquid after all the butter is added, continue to beat on high speed until it is smooth and creamy, 3-5 minutes more.
.
Directions for Adding the Chocolate-Mint Flavoring to the Frosting
In a heatproof bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture; stir frequently until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the saucepan; let the mixutre cool to room temperature. Add the chocolate mint flavoring to the buttercream frosting mixture and beat until combined.
.
HAPPY FROSTING! The frosted cupcakes can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days; bring to room termperature before serving.
.
Melting chocolate for cupcake batter & frosting
Voila! It melts before your very eyes so don't stop stirring!
Fresh right out of the oven!
My attempt to frost the cupcakes was ummm...err interesting. I broke...no, I exploded my pastry bag! Frosting went everywhere, and unfortunately I was so caught up in the mess I made that I forgot to take a picture. No worries, I did laugh pretty hard at myself, and Sam got a good laugh out of it too. *Not sure why the duct tape is on the counter, but I digress.
And here is my rectangular-baked-goods-carrier-thingamajig! This thing is awesome! It can carry mini cupcakes, big cupcakes, sheet cakes, etc, and your baked goods will arrive anywhere intact! I took some to my co-workers, some friends, my future in-law's, and of course saved plenty for Sam! On another very important note, I would also like to say Happy Birthday to Elizabeth Anne, my beautiful dear friend whom I've known since 7th grade, and Alexis, my beautiful 'Delta Mom'!

No comments:

Post a Comment