Friday, April 30, 2010

Keri Jo & Ice Cream Cake

The person of the week is my sister-in-law, Keri Jo Sackett, because she is wonderfully sweet and her birthday was this month. Keri is what I like to call a supermom. She is all about family. She's super involved in her kids' school and extracurricular activities (Noah and Ella are in elementary school); she also chases around my 3 year old nephew (Owen), cares for her newest little addition, my 5 month old niece (Leona), and she still makes time for her girlfriends. I don't know how she has the energy, but somehow she does it all with a smile on her face. And I don't mean one of those "I'm about to jump off a cliff" fake smiles! One of my favorite 'Keri qualities' is that she always enjoys life and does not take a moment of it forgranted!

Ryan and Brittany also came to visit last weekend too so we had lots of reasons to celebrate!


      Keri's favorite birthday treat is ice cream cake. She loves it! So Brittany and I decided to make our first ice cream cake together for Keri's birthday. I am the baker and Brittany is incredibly creative so we made a great team! The ingredients included funfetti cake mix, oreos, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, egg whites, heavy whipping cream, frosting, sprinkles, and of course, ICE CREAM (strawberry and chocolate chip cookie dough)!

   Then I baked the funfetti cakes (divide batter into two 9" round pans) and let them cool completely. Just follow the directions on the box. I made the crust by crushing oreo cookies and mixing it with cream cheese. Basically, I used the first steps to making oreo truffles. Easy and very delicious! Make sure you press the crust out onto wax paper and then stick it in the freezer.

Next, we added a layer of cookie dough ice cream. Yum! Then a layer of funfetti cake. And then, oh yes, another layer of ice cream. Strawberry this time! Then more funfetti cake, and finally I made whipped vanilla icing to top it off. See all the delicious layers... And finally, our finished product!


Friends and family came over for dinner that night. Sam grilled some very delicious beer burgers. We had fresh asparagus from his parents' garden, and ice cream cake! Sometimes I forget to take pictures when I am entertaining and this was one of those times. I will try to do better.


Pictured below from left to right: Brittany, Aaron (Sam's brother), Nathan (Aaron & Allison's little boy), Glen, and Savannah (Glen & Brooke's 2 month old baby girl)


And the adorable little one pictured below is Drew Kramer. He is Doug and Sarah Kramer's little boy. He is such a happy joyful baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment